Part 2: Basic Patient Rights (FAQ 47 of
Right to Complain to the Secretary of HHS
47. What Information Belongs in a Complaint?
HHS wants a complaint to include:
- Your name, full address, home and work telephone numbers, email address.
- If you are filing a complaint on someone's behalf, provide the name
of the person on whose behalf you are filing.
- Name, full address and phone of the person, agency or organization
you believe violated your (or someone else's) health information privacy
rights or committed another violation of the Privacy Rule.
- Briefly describe what happened. How, why, and when do believe your
(or someone else's) health information privacy rights were violated,
or the Privacy Rule otherwise was violated?
- Any other relevant information.
- Your name and the date of the complaint.
Optional information that HHS requests includes:
- Do you need special accommodations for us to communicate with you
about this complaint?
- If HHS cannot reach you directly, is there someone else to contact?
- Have you filed your complaint somewhere else?